Board Leadership Programme
07-08 August'17, Durban
Programme overview and objectives:
The programme is designed to share the latest insights and content across the following areas of critical importance to senior executives and decision-makers in organisations. This programme is run in conjunction with and certified by CGF Research Institute (Pty) Ltd.
Key focus areas:
- The purpose of the board, particularly in the South African context
- Legislation, including King III (and King IVTM), Companies Act (2008) and Consumer Protection Act (2011)
- Changing expectations of directors and personal consequences for non-compliance
- Board and EXCO meetings: agendas and proactive dialogue to address strategic imperatives
- Documentation and company secretary role
- Board structures and roles of board members and EXCOs
- Board nomination and appointment processes and criteria
- Board performance and assessment - collective and individual
- Global inter-connectedness and impact on organisations (e.g. BREXIT)
- Global leadership issues
- Disaster risk management and investor relations
- Corporate governance and ethics - the moral compass of the organisation
- Legal duties and obligations of executive and non-executive directors
- Role of the board as an agent of strategic change in the organisation
- Board committees: roles and objectives
Who should attend:
Existing and newly appointed directors of boards and directors of executive management committees, in both public and private sector organisations
UKZN Extended Learning, Innovation Centre, Gate 9, Rick Turner Road, Howard College Campus, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, 4001
Two days (07-08 August 2017)
The programme fee of R 7 500-00 per person (including 14% VAT) covers tuition, instruction material, lunches and refreshments.
Kenny Ngcobo | T: +27 (0)31 260 4963 | E: Ngcobok@ukzn.ac.za | W: www.ukznextendedlearning.com
Terrance (Terry) Booysen is a director and co-founder of CGF Research institute (Pty) Ltd. He served most of his professional career in the SA Financial services market, where he fulfilled a number of senior management positions across the retail, commercial and corporate banking sector at Barclays Bank Plc, Santam Bank, First National Bank and Nedcor Group. Terrance has been widely recognised for his thought leadership and innovative approach.
As an independent executive consultant, he is sought after by the private and public sectors alike, to assist in rethinking their business strategy and current business practices against the backdrop of business innovation and corporate governance. He is an accredited speaker and chair, and regularly presents to business and government leadership through seminars or keynote addresses on Governance, Risk & Compliance (GRC) covering the Corporate, SME and Government sectors. He has published numerous GRC related articles, addresses CEO forums and regularly serves as a judge of national business awards. He has also appeared on a number of television and radio talk shows as a subject matter expert on Corporate Governance.
Terry has been appointed as a strategic partner to international events such as the ICGN 2007, World Climate Summit 2011, the MDG Review 2012 Summit and the Southern African Compliance Awards 2014. In 2013, Booysen was recognised by the Worldwide Who’s Who organisation for his business accomplishments and knowledge within the arena of corporate governance. In 2014, he was named the SADC regional winner and SA country winner in the SME sector by the international Titans-Building Nations Awards.
During his 18 years in the banking sector, Terry also attained his MMP, AMP and EDP. He served in an executive position at IBM SA, covering thought leadership in the financial services sector.
University of KwaZulu-Natal
UKZN Extended Learning (UEL) is committed to enrichment through lifelong learning, by providing high quality credit and non-credit bearing short courses and academic programmes in collaboration with schools and colleges of the University of KwaZulu-Natal. In a fast-changing environment, developing relevant and useful skills and knowledge, and the capacity to deliver results, is more important than ever. Our courses are designed using the very best methods by combining content, based on both tried and tested results, and recent cutting edge research, with interactive experiential teaching and learning from local and international faculty and guest speakers.